During the Australasian Antarctic Expedition of 1911-14, led by the young Australian geologist Dr Douglas Mawson, the team of 31 expeditioners established 3 bases. The main one was built at Cape Denison, Commonwealth Bay, where in January and February 1912 they built the wooden hut. The Mawson’s Huts historic sites consist of the main hut, magnetograph house, the transit hut, the ruined absolute magnetic hut & a memorial cross to Ninnis & Mertz, along with a plaque recording the territorial claim Mawson made on his return for one night in 1931.
192 p.: ill. (some col.), facsims., maps, ports ; 31 cm #0621 OVERSIZED item, which will incur additional postage if ordered via Abebooks. Fi